Saturday, July 3, 2010

Great Books

There are three books that I would like to plug. They have all really helped me or are helping me.

The first one is Creating a Life Worth Living.  It is the book that got me on my path from accountant to life coach to artist.  The author of this fabulous book is Carol Lloyd.

There are a lot of stories of how artists be artists and how they live in order to keep art centered in their lives. It might be time for me to re-read this one.


The second one is called Spiritual Economics by Eric Butterfield.  I've just finished it and now Chuck is reading it.  It is easy to read and a practical guide to a spiritual practice and beliefs around money and prosperity.  I was introduced to this book recently at Celebration Circle, a spiritual group that meets in San Antonio.  The book contains a lot about gratitude and allowing flow. 

A favorite paragraph on page 23:  "You see, the basis of entitlement is the startling assertion:  The Universe owes you a living!  Yes, we are saying owes you a living.  Note:  We are not saying that the world owes you a living.  Actually, the world owes you nothing.  You are a creative expression of the Universe, with the responsibility to let your light shine.  Thus you owe the world a life.  But in all the many ways in which you apply yourself in the world, the Universe owes you complete support."  Let that sink in for a while.

Finally, the third book that I'm half way through is I'd Rather Be in the Studio! by Alyson B. Stanfield.  As always, the right resource--teacher, book--shows up when you are ready.  I've known about Alyson for a long time, but the student wasn't ready until now.  It has a lot of information on how you can spend hours and hours marketing.  My goal is to have my business foundation built by the end of the summer while still squeezing in studio time. 
I signed up for her class, Cultivating Collectors, a few days before Chuck resigned, an event that I knew was coming before he turned 50 (May 29, 2011).  It was a hard decision to spend a hundred bucks on this before the plug was pulled.  It just seems that I should know about this stuff.  (I know, the dreaded "s" word.)

I am grateful that I did sign up, because I might not have made the same decision afterwards.  It is so hard to be in flow and make good financial decisions when we naturally contract when known money sources are stopping. 

So, these are my "opportunities": 

  • To prudently spend and not spend money in an unknown money stream as if it were a known money stream

  • To know when to add or not add known income sources

  • To not buy into the fear of those around me have for me.  It really is ok to go along with the emperor not having any clothes.

1 comment:

  1. Hi Laurie - just found your new blog. A book that a small group of friends here has been playing with (working with in a playful way?) is Busting Loose from the Money Game by Robert Scheinfeld. If you check it out, let me know what you think.

    ReplyDelete